Experienced Software Developer
We are looking for an experienced software developer with an interest in every aspect of software development, including the web stack and beyond.
We strive to surpass expectations for technical excellence, using empathy, honesty and collaboration to deliver the right solutions for our clients.
We work together, to solve fun and challenging problems, both internally and with client teams. We value high quality simple and maintainable code.
Our work is as rich and varied as our clients with new things to learn every day. Some of our clients have included Deliveroo, Money Advice Service, The North Face and JP Morgan.
On a day to day basis you will be:
- Collaborating with other engineers to share knowledge and solve problems
- Mentoring and supporting others in your areas of expertise
- Working on client projects to build new features and fix problems, either on brand new projects or existing systems
- Contributing to internal processes and systems to improve the way we work
- Interacting with testers, managers, user experience designers and other stakeholders
Our Tech Stack
Our work is still predominantly in Ruby (Rails), but we use Elixir on a number of projects and are actively looking for opportunities to do more. We also work with, or are interested in, many other languages including Rust, Go, Scala, and Swift. On the front-end we've been favouring React.
Where relevant and as much as possible we practice test driven development, code reviews and pair programming.
Ideally we’d like you to:
- Be curious, empathetic and have a strong desire to continually improve
- Have a strong grounding in the programming fundamentals that transcend a given language
- Previous experience delivering projects in Ruby / Rails (or similar)
- Be comfortable working collaboratively on problems
- Be confident using Git / source control
- Enjoy mentoring others and and have the ability/desire to inspire a learning/developing mindset in others
- Be comfortable with automated testing and Test Driven Development
- Have the confidence to offer well formed technical advice / guidance coupled with the humility to listen to others
Other things we’d like but are not essential:
- Experience building microservices with event sourcing and breaking monoliths apart
- Experience in Elixir / Go / Rust / Scala
Whilst Cultivate welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, it is essential that all applicants must be either a British citizen, EU National or hold a full work visa and where appropriate be registered under the ‘Worker Registration Scheme’, or must hold a current work permit. Proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK will be required prior to commencement of employment.
Our interviews are designed to showcase your ability to think through problems, write code to a high standard and work with other members of the team. A large part of your time will be spent pairing with other members of the team, so it's essential that you are comfortable with this way of working and that you get to meet members of the team to see if we are a good fit for each other.
You will meet a member of the team for a short chat to answer any questions you may have, then work on a small problem usually in Ruby. This can be in person or remotely using screen sharing.
Pair programming half-day
The final stage is pair programming with our developers and designers at the Edinburgh office. Recruitment is a whole-team decision at Cultivate, and we find this an effective way to get to know you and let you get to know us.
Recruitment data policy is here.
Recruitment expense and travel policy is here.
- A focus on work life balance and keeping people happy and healthy.
- Flexible working arrangements where appropriate (including remote)
- An annual conference budget
- Profit share scheme (in which employees share 20% of the profits, twice a year).
- 5% pension contribution
- A smart phone.
Empathy and Respect
We are considerate, inclusive empathetic and respectful in all aspects.
We always do the best job possible given the situation and constraints at hand.
We always behave in a manner that represents us as professionals.
We have the courage to be honest, even when it's hard, and transparent even if that seems scary.
Collaboration and Shared Ownership
We work together, communicate clearly and solve problems as a team.
We always strive to find a simple and elegant solution.
(Simple does not mean simplistic!)
We value and are mindful of sustainability in all aspects as a business, personally and in 'giving back'.
Equal Opportunities Employer
We are an equal opportunities employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.